Monday, August 10, 2009

Permanent Vacationer


That's what I've decided is my calling. 

No, really. 

I think I have a calling to be a Permanent Vacationer. 

So...Mr. Ruby and I got home last night from one of the best vacations I've ever been on. It was the perfect mix of outdoors, beach, relaxation, and FOOD! 

We had a few minor setbacks, one of which was me somehow not realizing that it is CHILLY in Maine...even in August. I didn't have one sweater or one pair of leggings. In fact, all I brought was little cotton summer dresses. Stupid. Stupid. It DID however give me the chance to buy the Northface jacket I've had my eye on for awhile now. :)

The first day we went white water rafting. It was seriously one of the best experiences I've ever had. Rapids give quite the adrenaline rush. Our raft guide dubbed me and the 11 year old sitting next to me as "The Screamers". Apparently I'm 5 years old, and waves make me scream...just like roller coasters. 

The next day, we went on a guided ATV tour of the mountains. Amazing? Yes. Fun? Yes. Did I curse myself for not bringing any warm/water resistant gear? YES! The first 2 hours were unbelievably fun...I just ignored the fact that I was quite chilly. However, once we were out in the middle of nowhere, it started to pour. Now, a rainy ATV ride doesn't sound so bad, right? Well, when it's 50 degrees and pouring rain...things get quite miserable. I was wearing jeans and a tank top, but luckily Mr. Ruby gave me his rain jacket. It didn't stop my jeans, undies, socks, and everything I was wearing from getting drenched. Now picture the most miserable you've ever been. That was me...only about 10 times worse. Not even kidding. I can honestly say that at some points, I was hoping I would get struck by lightening, or that I'd crash my ATV so that someone had to come rescue me. It was unbearable. (You know it's bad when Mr. Ruby is on the verge of tears...) Believe it or not, we still had a great time. And it's a story for the kids. 

The next few days included a lot of relaxation, lobster, and a beautiful resort! We spent the entire time laughing, eating, and taking in the beautiful scenery. I hope to go back someday!!!

Well, now I'm back to the real world yet again. This is going to be one heck of a week...so you might not hear too much from me. 

Gearing up for our white water rafting adventure

Just a couple of hikers

Just about 15 seconds before the blizzard

Toasting with Maine's blueberry ale

The best dinner I've EVER had. Hands down (Not to mention the scenery...)

Loving God's Creation

The beautiful coast

Appetizing on some steamed mussels and clams

Another one of the most amazing meals ever...LOBSTER

Beautiful (but chilly) Sunset Cruise

Cheesy...but gotta have a sunset pic

Wouldn't be a vaca without Mexican food & Sangria

Scenic view at breakfast

Professional hikers...who forgot bug spray

17 comments:

Jackie said...

Oh man, I can only imagine how cold you were. Sounds like the other fun stuff you did make up for the chilly weather though :)

Mrs. Southern said...

It looks like you both had a great vacay! Good thing you HAD to get that north face jacket, love it! :)

Heather (Live.Love.Laugh.) said...

Looks like a great vacay. North face is awesome!

Unknown said...

How wonderful!

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

I wish there was such a job! Glad you had a great time. Great pictures!

Shoshanah said...

Permanent Vacationer? How do I sign up for that job?

Naturally Caffeinated Family said...

Wow, that sounded and looked like so much fun! Such cute pics! (I cracked up at hoping to crash the atv so someone would rescue you, haha! [without being hurt of course=)])

Alison said...

Looks like a great trip!

Sarah (newer reader) said...

Where did you stay. We are getting ready to plan a trip to maine and what you did looks so fun we might want to copy... Any pointer?

PinkSass said...

As always yall are so cute. What a fun trip, the pictures are amazing.

That ATV ride sounds awful, my goodness I would have for sure been in tears!

Totally love that you brought all cotton dresses, I would do the same thing! hahahaha.

Ashley said...

Sorry to hear about your rainy ATV tour but everything else sounds like a blast. The views are breathtaking!! Can I be a permanent vacationer, too??

LauraAnn said...

Despite the chilly weather it looks like you had an AMAZING vacation! I went to Maine when I was younger and LOVED it. I am determined to go back.

And in some regards you could be thankful for the cooler weather...you were forced to go shopping and get the NorthFace jacket! I love excuses to buy clothes! lol

Lucky in Love said...

How beautiful! I've always wanted to go to Maine...especially for the lobster!!

Polka Dots & Protein Bars said...

What an amazing trip! Maine is one place I've always wanted to visit, and you just made my desire that much stronger!

BALLET NEWS said...

Hello, just wanted to stop by and leave you a comment because I've really enjoyed reading your lovely posts. Your pictures are fantastic too - thank you for sharing your writing !

Anonymous said...

Looks like you kids had way too much fun!! So happy you took a week off from your busy lives to just enjoy each other and unwind. CUTE PICS, too!

Jordan said...

Looks like you guys had fun! Beautiful scenery! = )