Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Recovery Update


I think I now slightly know what it feels like to have a newborn baby.

Crying all hours of the night. Carrying her everywhere. Not leaving the room for more than a second. Getting peed on.

So far, we think Sienna is recovering nicely. It's hard to say...because we won't really know until she starts walking again.

Poor thing is just a bundle of emotions: fear, anxiety, confusion, and frustration. She has no idea why she has no use of her back end and why she is immobile. She'll see a bug and want to chase it. She hears Samson barking and wants to play. We come home from work and she wants to run outside.

Can't do any of those things...at least not yet.

And we're trying to adjust as well. She has three medicines to take daily. We have to massage her thighs every few hours. We have to give her little physical therapy sessions with a scarf (to remind her of the motion of walking). And we have to help her pee. This is done by holding her back end up and squeezing her bladder...we still haven't gotten the hang of this yet.

Today, I came home straight from work to get Sienna out of her kennel and take her outside. The moment I picked her up, she peed all over me. All over the ottoman. All over the mail sitting on the ottoman. All over the kitchen floor. And then she peed some more outside.

She was mortified.

She has never even had an accident in the house.

So, it's adjustments for everyone. She is slowly getting color back in her cheeks. And we're still very hopeful.

P.S. Poor quality photos are taken from my phone...because again, I FRICKING broke my camera for a THIRD TIME!!!!

This is the only standing position she can do on her own


Check out my new haircut...and 6-inch scar!!!


12 comments:

Random Musings said...

She is looking good! I am so glad shes going to be ok!

Poor thing! I remember when our Daisy got sick and how we knew she was sick (SO TOTALLY NOT WHAT YOU ARE GOING THROUGH) she climbed into my husbands lap and peed on him. I started to cry right away because I knew something was wrong, and she was SO UPSET! She was devastated!

Jordan said...

Poor puppy! I hope she gets to feeling better soon! :-)

Unknown said...

Awww, poor girl...and tough times for her mom! Hope she starts recovering soon!

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

Aw, I hope she starts getting better soon!

Ashley said...

Aw your pup is soo cute! I'm glad to hear she is doing well && I'm praying that your family will start to adjust to the temporary changes :)

Lucky in Love said...

What a sweet little thing! You two are taking such great care of her. She's so lucky to have you.

Alison said...

Poor little baby! She is so, so cute!!! I'd do anything for that little face! :)

Kassie said...

I think you are totally right spending money on that pup! My little puppy died a few months ago the day after her 2nd birthday, and I'm not over it whatsoever!! It was all of a sudden, the docs have no clue what happened--in one day she just got worse and worse. She was in this speciality vet hospital for the two days, and I think all together it was about 8 grand. She didn't get better, obviously, but I still don't regret the money for an instant, and would do it all over again, double, to get her back!!

Carrie said...

OH! Poor baby! Get better quick!

Tiffany said...

Poor baby! I hope she feels better soon - for both of your sakes.

I just found your blog and I'm so glad I did - it is adorable! :)

Sarah said...

Your poor puppy! She must be so scared wondering what is wrong. =[ I hope she recovers soon so that she can get back to her normal, happy, puppy life. =]
Oh, and in your other post about this you mentioned the cost and how some people might think it's crazy- well I say NEVER is it crazy to save the life of a VITAL family member. A few years back my goat (Yup, goat) Otis had to have kidney stones removed or he would die. Chances were he might die during the surgery anyway but we took the chance and had it done. It was a $1,400 surgery. And it was worth every penny. He's been just fine since, happy as a clam. =]

LauraAnn said...

Awe! Poor Sienna! I am glad that she is doing better and I hope that her recovery is quick!