Friday, February 27, 2009

You want a job...really?

I recently posted the Top 10 ways NOT to get a job.

I have a few more to add to my list. I swear I keep meeting people that are trying their absolute hardest NOT to get a job.

Yesterday, I hosted final interviews for my company. Let me set the mood. It's a fairly intense process. We fly candidates out. Set them up in a hotel. Take them to breakfast. Take them up to their interviews (that last an hour and a half total) where they interview with 3 VP's of the company. We take them up to our executive dining room (where jackets are required) and send them on their way.

So, I had to take around 3 candidates yesterday. Two of the three had arrived (the third was a local candidate in Boston). I tried calling him and when he answered I said "Name, are you still planning on attending your final interview this morning?" He mumbled something (I would soon find out that he mumbled just about everything he said) and stated that he was about 15 minutes away. He didn't apologize. He didn't sound frazzled. Ok, if this were me...I would be frickin sweating BULLETS!

So, I take the others to breakfast. When my third candidate shows up (we'll call him Mumbles) I think to myself "Oh dear Lord. I'm being Punk'd." He was THIRTY minutes late and still did NOT apologize!!! Mumbles walked in and looked like he hadn't even showered in a couple of days. Although he was wearing a suit, it looked like he just got it off his dorm floor.

At this point, we have 10 minutes until I have to take them up to their interviews. He mumbles "What's for breakfast?" in a very rude and demanding tone. I snidely mention, "Well, you should probably just grab a muffin." Mumbles heads to the table with his breakfast, demolishes the poor muffin by crushing it into mini crumbles and says with a scowl on his face "This muffin is really dry." (Meanwhile, muffin debris is flying all over the place...I think a soggy crumb even landed on my hand) Wow.

So, after the interviews, I go back up to meet the candidates and give them a tour of our facility. Along with making multiple stupid comments that I couldn't understand, Mumbles states "It smells like fish around here" And started laughing this horribly geeky, hideous laugh. Did I miss the joke?

Finally, after a very awkward morning, I take the candidates up to lunch in our Executive Dining Room. I can't even enter the dining room because I don't have access. Someone has to let us in. Again, jackets are required. And Mumbles proceeds to not only check his cell phone during lunch but he BURPED! He didn't even say excuse me.

Needless to say...Mumbles will DEFINITELY not be getting an offer. In fact, I don't have a clue how he even made it this far. Whoever interviewed him in the first place was on something, that's for sure.

**********************************************************

Happy Friday to everyone. I'm so excited because we're going skiing at the number 1 ski resort in Maine. I can't WAIT.

Thanks for all the sweet comments about my groin. I'm nursing it all day today. Hopefully I come off the slopes able to walk!

Can't wait to post pics...have a fabulous weekend!!!

14 comments:

Mojito Maven said...

W.O.W. there are no words...burping? ugh

Piper Jacquelyn said...

Jeez...what is with people?! That's pretty unheard of, I think I would have yelled at him! Anyway - off to skiing, which sounds very lovely - have fun!

Amber said...

That's absolutely ridiculous. Seriously, what is with some people. Sounds like a pretty big opportunity that lots of people would kill for and he totally blows it. What a loser.

Allison said...

Seriously, that blows my mind...I can't believe that anyone would be that RUDE and offer no apologies for it! I really didn't know that people could act like that.

Newlywed Next Door said...

I LOVE these stories. I did a bit of on-campus recruiting for my consulting firm so I have a few too... but NOWHERE even close to yours. WTF is wrong with people? You'd think in this economy people would be on their best behavior!

Rachel said...

What a weirdo he was!!! Have fun in Maine; it's so beautiful; that is where I am from.

Lucky in Love said...

Just found your blog...super cute! Can't wait to read more :)

Have a great weekend!

Jules said...

That is a classic story! People never cease to amaze me. I cannot believe you had to deal with that.

Have a great time on your ski trip!

Jane said...

oh my goodness. i will kill for an opportunity like you provided him, and he just blows it! how absolutely unprofessional and rude.

little erin said...

random question. have you ever read jodi picoult, and if so, do you like her? she is doing a reading at hope high school in providence this weekend and i plan on going. i figured maybe we could meet up if you wanted to go!

CIP said...

Wow! Seriously? That's crazy, especially in this job market, you'd think people would be bending over backwards to impress!

In This Wonderful Life said...

REALLY???! WHAT are people thinking?!? Have a good weekend!!!!

Kyla @ The Simpsons said...

He sounds disgusting... ugh.

Have a great time skiing, can't wait to see all the pictures!!

Trina said...

Oh my word! He burped?! I seriously would have been looking for Candid Camera. LOL

My hubs mentioned today how much he wish we could go skiing again.