Friday, January 23, 2015

Adaline Mae: 3 Months

My baby bug is three months old.


And I've already broken one of my 2015 goals for the year. {I do not create new year resolutions, but instead set casual and achievable goals or "try's" for the year.}

One of my "try's" was to live in the present. More specifically, I don't want to dwell on the fact that each passing day means that Adaline is one day older than the last. A day I'll never have again.

I can't help it. I love my babies as babies. But I've also learned, I love every other phase too.

Regardless. Call it the breastfeeding hormones, but I've been so sad and feeling extraordinarily sentimental lately. Maybe because Addie is no longer a helpless little newborn. She's getting stronger! And more socially aware! And she talks! Of course all of these things are what we want because they mean she's growing. But they also mean time is completely out of my control as the sand in the hourglass seems to be dropping much faster than it did with Lyla.



But then I always come back to Lyla's favorite book we gave her on her first birthday. {So favorite that we've had to tape it back together again several times}. If I Could Keep You Little. You've read this, no? Never mind the fact that I hold back the tears every.single.time. we read it, which is a lot, but it's such a good reminder to me. I often wish I could keep my babies little, but even more, I want them to grow and thrive and get older to experience life!



So. Adaline is three months old. And we're going to focus on all the exciting growth that's occurred.

Babies' first years are absolutely miraculous, I tell you.
  • I wish I knew how much Miss Addie-Mae weighed or how tall she is. The last check up we had was when she was 6 weeks old, and we don't have another until 4 months. Something tells me that appointment is going to be a shocker. 
  • This kid watches and observes everything. I swear I can see the wheels turning as she holds stare-downs with the pups, or as she carefully watches her big sister. She stared and smiled at her baby-buddy Carson for a solid 20 minutes this past weekend. 
  • I think the baby of the family may be the social one. Too early to tell? Wishful thinking? We still witness the saddest little bottom pout if we leave her alone in a room. I mean saddest. She lights up when she's around a big group of people, something Lyla-Bell never quite enjoyed.
  • We started music class again! Not only is Lyla thriving, but Adaline just loves it! She listens, watches all the big kids, kicks her legs with each song, and SMILES the entire class. 
  • Everyday she gets stronger. She may grunt and groan the whole way through and dislike it just like big sis, but she works hard during tummy time. Which, if I'm honest, tummy time is totally a check on the old to-do list. Mostly because she screams like a banshee the moment we put her down. My kids hate being on their bellies. 
  • Poor baby has cradle cap, which makes her look like a lizard, and she's got a glamorous bald spot on the back of her head where she sleeps. Quick. Where's the baby beauty pageant sign up? ;)
  • Baby girl is a TALKER. She just chats with everyone she meets. Lyla loves it too and gets so excited, runs into the room where I am and squeals "She's talking to me, Mama!" We've even gotten a few small giggles out of her. And by we, I mean Lyla. Because big sis is the funniest. 
  • That smile. This one smiles so big, all day long. Sometimes I worry it's going to extend out past her face. And unlike big sis was, she's generous with her smiles and gives them out to everyone she sees. *Lyla saved those big ones for family.*
  • Her favorite position is still the fetal. Just on the crook between my neck and shoulder. Oh that smell and warm skin when she's that close to my face. {Quick. I'm getting baby fever over here}.
  • She completely fills out 3-6 month clothes. And everyone who sees her says "She's so BIG" - first thing out of their mouths. Wrench my heart why don't ya?
  • When I go into her room in the morning, you'd think I was Santa Claus. The excitement is so palpable. She looks like she might explode with happiness. She sure lights up when Daddy shows her some attention too. 
These girls. They sure know how to wrap their dad around their fingers so tightly, he'll never be free. 


What joy the past 3 months have brought. We love you, sweet baby Bug!


1 comment:

Shoshanah said...

That last picture of the 3 of them in bed is absolutely adorable!