Tuesday, February 28, 2012

How it all went down.

I will never, ever forget my sweet hubby's reaction
when I blind-sided him with the news.

Keep in mind.
There was no trying for a baby involved.
The opposite actually.

But sometimes you just have a little too much Sweet Tea Vodka, okay?

I woke up on December 29th.
Nothing unusual.
Except for the fact that I had an odd "feeling" that I was pregnant.
(Really, it was mostly because everyone and their sister seemed to be getting pregnant,
and I freaked out a little.)

I ran out to Target.
Grabbed a pregnancy test.
Boom.
Positive.

No reaction on my part because I simply didn't believe it.
I mean, the blue line was blurry.
Clearly it was a manufacturer's error.

Drank a glass of water.
Peed again.
Boom.
Another positive.

Began to sweat a little.

Ran out to Walgreens.
Grabbed the most expensive test I could find.

$35.00 later,
and the word PREGNANT is staring back at me.
In big.bold.black.letters.
I can't even remember the feelings I had.
Don't think I really had any.
Just total shock.
And disbelief.

So.
I called my doctor.
Spoke with a nurse.
Yammered on and on about how I thought I might be pregnant.
Told her about my 3 tests.
She said, "Honey, you're definitely pregnant".
I said, "Well, I'm on Christmas break and can come in right now for you to double-check".
She laughed and said that was unnecessary.

2 minutes later,
she's congratulating me and giving me a due date.

This was all going too fast for me.

Then, my next move was the most logical one I could think of.

I made my second phone call.
I rang The Bride Room, a local Nashville Tennessee bridal boutique, where I ordered a bridesmaid dress for my best friend's wedding just 10 days before.
I wanted to make sure they knew I probably wouldn't fit into my dress in April.

Clearly, that's what everyone does when they find out they're pregnant.
And I was obviously thinking rationally.

Then, I waited.
And waited.
For 6 hours until my husband got home.
Hubby finally gets home.
He walks in.
Sits on the couch.
And we talk about our days.
Per usual.

I then blurt out, "Your last Christmas present came today."
He gets a cute look on his face...excited I got him something else.
Little did he know...

So, he opens up his little Christmas box.
And he just stares.
Silently.
For about a minute.
He looks up at me completely confused.

My darn pregnancy test had gone blank in the last hour.

So, I softly say, "I'm pregnant".

His face turns white as a ghost.
More silence.
Followed by a lot of sentence fragments and mumbles.

"I'm so con..."
"Wait, what?"
"I don't under..."
"HOLY."

So, I finally chime in.
I ask, "Are you mad?"

My shocked hubs jumps up and says of course not and gave me a giant hug and kiss.
Then he went back to silently staring for awhile.

It didn't really hit us until the next morning.

Just needed a day to sort through our total shock.
It didn't take long for us to completely and utterly fall in love with our little bean!

A reenactment of the sequence of events.
As told by a 10 second camera self-timer.






16 comments:

C Mae said...

You've been busy!!! Congratulations!!! What an exciting time in your life!

Leigh said...

I missed your last post, so congratulations!! So exciting!

Amanda @ New Adventures said...

CONGRATS! I'm so excited for you both. What an awesome surprise! I laughed out loud when I read the second phone call you made was to the bridal store- HILARIOUS :)

Ashley said...

Congrats!!! That is sooo exciting!!!

Unknown said...

haha yay! how exciting, congrats!

Kristin said...

Y'all are too cute!!! Congrats again!

Anonymous said...

Love that you called about the dress, hilarious :)

Congratulations again girl!!

Crystal Seed said...

Awwww!!! Congrats! That's so exciting! You are going to love it!!!!

AbbyS. said...

ohmy!!!! Congrats to you & the hubs. What a wonderful time it will be. Hope you are feeling well.
Such a day brightner to read this great news this morning.

Tickled Pink Mandy said...

CONGRATS!! So exciting!! :)

Kendra said...

What a great story to remember! Congratulations again! :)

PinkSass said...

Eeeks I love this. And those pictures are adorable.

I got a good laugh out of the fact that you called a bridal salon as your second call..tehehehehe.

Carolyn said...

How exciting!!! :) Congratulations!!

Kelly said...

Aww, this was SO sweet. I'm preeeetty sure the conversation between my husband and myself will probably be a lot like that too-- shock, disbelief, and excitement!!

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

How exciting though!!! I would have taken a ton of tests too.

Greer's Gossip said...

Just found your blog and I love it!! So funny, I also found out on Dec. 29th I was pregnant, we had not been trying either, and I had to wait a very long day for the husband to get home from work to give him his last Christmas present as I said as well!! :)