Monday, May 4, 2009

Mid-Day Drag

Does anyone else find it incredibly impossible to work after lunch?

I tell ya - I always hit a major WALL after lunch. We're talking 100 mph, head first, into a cement wall. I am so productive first thing in the morning, but then become a zombie at about 2:00. Every day. 

In fact, today I put my head down (for only about 5 seconds) and imagined what it would be like to take a nap. If only...

However, I do have inspiration...or motivation rather. There are a few things that I get excited about...and believe it or not, they help me get through the rest of the day. Honestly, when I don't have one of the following, I can't really get through the day. I'm weird, I know. 

I have a ritual where I switch off between a large D-Coke from McDonald's and a medium iced coffee from Dunkin Donuts. I don't even need the caffein really...I just HAVE to get out of the office. And I really like fountain drinks and drinking through a straw.

About an hour later, I have a snack attack. I usually eat something sweet. My new fave is the Chex Mix Turtle bars - only 2 WW points!!! They're quite delicious. And if you need some motivation...they do just the trick. I tell myself "Alright I'm going to do review 15 more resumes, write two more paragraphs in this proposal and THEN I'll give myself the Turtle Bar."
It works like a charm.

Finally, I end my ritual with a tasty piece of sugar free gum. (If you couldn't tell, I have a major sweet-tooth.) I LOVE the Strawberry-Banana and Watermelon Extra gum. So delicious. And I can usually finish about 3 or 4 tasks while still chewing the same piece!!!
What keeps YOU motivated at work? 

8 comments:

Amber said...

I motivate myself with snack time too!

My mom has a couch in her office and she takes 15-30 minute naps every afternoon and her boss encourages it! Apparently napping in the middle of the day increases productivity..

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

Every day at work after lunch I think about going to the bathroom and hiding in there. If I could sleep in there I would. I would hide in there and sleep.

I have to work two 9 hour days this week and I don't know how I'm going to do it. I really dont. I might steal your idea of treating myself periodically.

Shoshanah said...

I'll try to take a late lunch. I'll normally go just before 1pm, so when I get back I only have 3 hours to go. It works for me, since even doing so the afternoons seem far longer than the mornings

Modern Maven said...

LOVE a fountain diet soda (Diet Coke or Coke zero). SPECIFICALLY, I LOVE the cups from Chic-Fil-A as they don't sweat! I also enjoy a hot McCafe Coffee in the P.M. (hot DD coffee ONLY in the A.M.)! That's my silver lining on a cloudy day!

Aliya said...

YES!!! I thought I was the only one! I'm totally mentally done with work by, oh.... 3ish. Snack and soda def helps, but still doesn't resist the urge to take a nap!

Polka Dots & Protein Bars said...

I so have that afternoon problem. I'm SUCH a morning person, but afternoons, no ma'am. At 3 o'clock I have a Diet Dr. Pepper. Every. Day. Does it help? Doubtful. I just convince myself it does.

Lucky in Love said...

Okay...can I tell you how much I LOVE those Chex Mix bars!!! I can't believe every time I eat them they are only 2 points. Best. invnetion. ever.

Emily said...

I love all the suggetions... mornings are always hard for me.. cant figure out what to eat or drink and get way tired and hungry!